Setting up Google Sync with your iOS device
Follow the steps below to setup Google Sync on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch.
The easiest way to use MCA Gmail on your iOS device is to use the Gmail application available in the iTunes App Store. Use your full MCA Gmail address and password during setup and you should be good to go.
If you wish to use Apple’s Mail application on the iPhone or iPad, check the requirements and follow the steps below to configure your MCA Gmail account.
Requirements and Backing Up Data
- Google Sync is only supported on Apple iOS versions 3.0 and above. You can check your current version by going to Settings > General > About > Version. If you’re running an iOS before 3.0, upgrade to the latest iOS on Apple’s site: http://www.apple.com/ios/ before setting up Google Sync.
- Check your Safari cookies settings to see if it is set to “From Visited” or “Always”. If it’s set to “Never”, you’re more likely to be prompted to solve the CAPTCHA.
1. Open the Settings application on your device’s home screen.
2. Open Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
3. Press Add Account….
4. Select Microsoft Exchange. iOS 4.0+ allows multiple Exchange accounts. However, if you’re on a device that doesn’t let you add a second account, you could also use IMAP to sync Gmail.
Enter Account Info
5. In the Email field, enter your full Google Account email address “Firstname.Lastname@mca.edu” or “firstname.lastname@example.org”. After entering this address in, select and copy it so you can paste it in during step 7.
6. Leave the Domain field blank.
7. Enter (or paste from step 5) your full Google Account email address as the Username.
8. Enter your Google Account password as the Password.
Notes about passwords:
- Be sure that you have a strong password for your Google Account.
- If you see an error message saying “Invalid Password”, you may need to unlock your account by solving a short CAPTCHA. Go to https://www.google.com/accounts/UnlockCaptcha.
- If you are a 2-step verification user, please use an application-specific password instead of your regular password in this field.
- Check your Safari cookies settings to see if it is set to “From Visited” or “Always”. If it is set to “Never”, you’re likely to be prompted to solve the CAPTCHA.
9. Tap Next at the top of your screen.
9a. Choose Cancel if the Unable to Verify Certificate dialog appears.
10. When the new Server field appears, enter m.google.com.
11. Press Next at the top of your screen again.
On the Final page, turn off the Contacts & Calendar syncing (unsupported by our Google Apps installation at this time). MCA is not ready to migrate these and is not ready to support these settings yet. When we’re ready to support this, notification will go up as a new post on this site.
Note: Google Sync is only supported on iPhone OS versions 3.0 and above. Please upgrade to iPhone OS 3.0 before setting up Google Sync.
You’ve set up Google Sync! Synchronization will begin automatically if you have Push enabled on your device. You can also open the Mail app and wait a few seconds to start a sync.